In October 2021, a cyber incident impacted critical IT systems supporting health-care providers across Newfoundland and Labrador. Through the course of the ongoing investigation and review, it was determined that some personal information and personal health information of clients and employees was taken by an unauthorized party. Due to this privacy breach, clients, as well as current and former employees, physicians and locums, are offered access to free credit monitoring and identity theft protection services through Equifax Canada.
Affected individuals are encouraged to register for credit monitoring and identity theft protection services at no cost to them.
Why register for credit monitoring and identity theft protection services?
- These services provided through Equifax Canada have many benefits including daily credit monitoring with email notifications of key changes to your credit profile.
- This service allows individuals to monitor their credit and identity information, as well as detect and respond to fraudulent credit activity.
- After you register, you can receive notifications via email of any key changes to your credit profile.
Learn more about eligibility requirements and how to register
Please follow the most appropriate link below to learn more about the service that is available to you.
Additional information about the privacy breach for clients and employees is included in the following notifications.
- Clients and former clients: Public notification of privacy breach of personal health information
- Employees and former employees: Notification of a privacy breach of current and former employee’s personal information
Eastern Health takes confidentiality and privacy very seriously and deeply regrets that this has happened. We would like to apologize and provide assurance of our continued commitment to the protection of the privacy of our employees, patients, clients and other members of our community.
Latest public service announcement (December 8, 2022): Eastern Health Provides Update on Privacy Breach
Further information, including a list of frequently asked questions, is available on the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador website.
If you have any questions about your personal information and personal health information as it relates to this cyber-attack, please contact the toll-free information line at 1-833-718-3021.