Who we are
Bereavement Services at Eastern Health provides care for people who are experiencing loss due to the death of a loved one.
What we do
Grief and bereavement sessions
We offer grief and bereavement sessions that
- are currently virtual;
- are biweekly and alternate between lunchtime and evening timeslots to better accommodate all persons seeking help; and
- explain the grief and bereavement process, typical emotions, complicated grief, how to access further supports and time for discussion.
No client referred to us goes more than two weeks without being offered the opportunity to attend this information session
After attending the public information session:
- some attendees discuss with a counsellor whether or not they would like bi-weekly individual counselling session;
- some clients come for one to two sessions while others receive counselling for longer periods of time; and
- some clients request a follow-up individual session around certain holidays or significant anniversaries.
Grief and bereavement support group
We offer a grief and bereavement support group which
- consists of eight sessions offered by trained staff;
- is open to people over the age of 18 grieving the loss of a loved one; and
- requires registration to attend.
Special Public Sessions
Our special public sessions about grief and bereavement include:
- Grieving: coping with the holidays and
- Beyond the broken heart: facing grief and loneliness.
- Assist you in managing your grief constructively and creatively, and to help you through your grief process.
- Help you to acknowledge and accept the reality of your anticipated death, the dying or death of your loved one.
- Help you to self-manage your emotional, spiritual, psychological pain caused by your anticipated loss, or by the death of your loved one(s).
- Collaborate with health-care professionals and community resources to care for your needs.
- Assist you in reinvesting your energy in other relationships and activities to help you adjust to the changes in your life.
Bereavement services collaborates with several departments and programs of Eastern Health and with community agencies, such as:
- Palliative care services;
- Pastoral care and ethics;
- The Janeway Family Centre;
- Mental health and addictions;
- Cancer care;
- Long-term care; and
- Community and supportive services which include family medical clinics, senior’s resource groups, faith groups, etc.
Who we see
We see people over the age of 18.
How to access this service
We accept self-referrals; referral by a community health-care professional and referral by a family member or friend, with consent from the individual being referred.
All referrals must use the ch-1300 Grief and Bereavement Referral Form Fillable (PDF).
How to reach us
Telephone: 709-777-6959 or 709-777-8940