Top Left Logo
Professional Practice - Nursing and Allied Health Healthy People, Healthy Communities
Skip Navigation Links
For Health Professionals
Contact Us

Spacer Spacer Spacer Spacer
Index      Small Text Medium Text Large Text  

Patients and Family


There are a number of ways you can access audiology services:

  • Self referral:  we welcome self-referrals, but be aware that the management of some hearing issues require involvement of other health professionals, especially physicians. For a copy of the Self Referral form, click here.
  • Physicians: we accept referral from both general practice and specialist physicians.  For certain services (such as ENG testing, and cochlear implants) we only accept referrals form ear nose and throat (ENT) physician specialists
  • Community health nurses
  • School Guidance Counselors (central auditory testing)

Frequently Asked Questions

How old does my child have to be to have their hearing tested?
There is no age limit for hearing testing. For example, we screen infants’ hearing at birth.  If you are concerned about your child’s hearing, please arrange to have them referred as soon as possible.

Do you provide hearing aids?

We provide hearing aids under the Provincial Hearing Aid Program (PHAP).  PHAP provides aids for all children (under the age of 18) and full time secondary students.  PHAP also provides hearing aids for adults with financial need (e.g., on income support, seniors with limited income/resources). 

For an adult to qualify for PHAP, a financial assessment is done by the Department of Advanced Education and Skills (1-877-729-7888). If you qualify, an authorization form will be sent to the audiology department, and you will be contacted about an appointment.

The audiology department does not sell hearing aids.  If you are not covered by PHAP, you will need to purchase your hearing aids at one of the local dealers.  A listing can be found in the Yellow Pages of the phone book, under “Hearing Aids”.

I have an appointment with you.  What do I need to bring?

Like other health services, you will need a current MCP card, and a hospital card if you have one.  Our appointments run on time, so if you are late there may not be enough time to complete the testing.  Parking at the Health Sciences Centre can be difficult at times, so allow for that.

If you cannot keep your appointment, please let us know as soon as possible.  We can use your timeslot to see another client.



Downloadable Documents:
Audiology Self Referral Form

Updated Aug 12, 2019