Top Left Logo
Professional Practice - Nursing and Allied Health Healthy People, Healthy Communities
Skip Navigation Links
For Health Professionals
Contact Us

Spacer Spacer Spacer Spacer
Index      Small Text Medium Text Large Text  

Resources for Health Professionals


Therapeutic recreation within the province of Newfoundland and Labrador is a non-licensed profession and practitioners do not require a provincial license to practice within Eastern Health.
There are two classifications of unionized positions within therapeutic recreation in Eastern Health which include recreation specialists and recreation therapy workers. 

The minimum hiring qualifications for each position is as follows:
  1. Recreation specialist – national certification as a certified therapeutic recreation specialist (CTRS) by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC)
  2. Recreation therapy worker – two-year diploma in therapeutic recreation or a two year diploma in recreation which contains major course work in therapeutic recreation
Job Opportunities
Therapeutic recreation provides job opportunities for individuals who meet the minimum hiring qualifications for recreation specialist and recreation therapy worker positions. 

The degree of recruitment is dependent upon the vacancy rate in therapeutic recreation within the organization. 

Therapeutic recreation does however recruit temporary call-in staff (recreation specialist and recreation therapy workers) on an annual basis for casual relief.

For information on job opportunities within please visit the Career section of the Eastern Health website.



Updated Aug 12, 2019