Top Left Logo
Long-Term Care Healthy People, Healthy Communities
Skip Navigation Links
For Health Professionals
Contact Us

Spacer Spacer Spacer Spacer
Index      Small Text Medium Text Large Text  

Admission Process

Applying to long-term care

The office of placement services coordinates all admissions to personal care homesprotective community residences and nursing homes in the Eastern Region through a single-entry system.
If you live in the community, the application process includes a visit from a nurse or a social worker who completes a needs assessment to determine your care requirements, and the best options for you. You must also have a medical form completed by your doctor, and a chest X-ray taken.
If you are in a hospital, a social worker will assist you with the application process.
It is always nice to tour a few homes before naming your preferred home on your application. To pre-arrange your visit, contact the manager of the personal care home or social worker at the nursing home you wish to visit.

When visiting, we encourage you to address all questions and concerns you may have.

Veterans Affairs provides placement to eligible veterans wishing to enter the Caribou Memorial Veterans Pavilion in St. John’s. Beds for non-veterans may be accessed through the single-entry system described here.

Respite care is also coordinated through this office and requires completion of an application. 

Guides with information on the application and placement process:

Placement Sevices
Placement services will review your application and refer you for long-term care or respite care as appropriate. Often times, there may not be a vacant bed available that can provide the care you need at the time of your application. When this happens, your name will be added to a waitlist.

Our waitlist is based on need rather than length of time you are on the list. If a suitable bed becomes vacant, and you are assessed as being in the greatest need, you will be offered placement.

Although you are not guaranteed a bed in your preferred nursing home, you can request a transfer once you have been admitted to a nursing home. Upon request, a social worker can assist you with the request for transfer.

If you are in hospital waiting for a bed in a long-term care facility, you will be expected to accept the first available bed offered to you— even though it may not be in your preferred home. This is also true if you are in a personal care home waiting for a bed in a nursing home. It is important for you to move to a home that can best meet your care needs as soon as possible. Remember once you are admitted to the home offered, you can request a transfer to your home of choice.
Preparing for Placement

Planning and preparing for placement may be difficult for you and your family. At Eastern Health, we believe that asking questions and developing a good plan will help you and your family adjust to the change. We recommend that you prepare for decision making by completing an Advanced Health Care Directive and Power of Attorney prior to your admission.

Contact Information
If you or a loved one wishes to access residential long-term care or respite care, you may contact a community health office.


Updated Oct 10, 2019