Eastern Health currently employs 65 clinical pharmacists and 64.4 pharmacy technicians to provide services to children and adults in both hospital and outpatient settings.
What we do
Hospital pharmacists are your medication experts. We promote the safe and effective use of medication by:
- Working with the health care team to ensure the selection of the best medication at the correct dose for an appropriate duration.
- Monitoring and preventing or minimizing side effects and drug interactions.
- Providing medication counseling to patients.
- Dispensing medications for patients in wards, the emergency department and at outpatient clinics.
- Manufacturing specialized medications such as chemotherapy for cancer treatment, mixtures and creams, etc.
- Offering specialist drug therapy advice to doctors, nurses and other health care professionals within hospitals.
Pharmacists work throughout the hospital with services provided across various programs within Eastern Health and Newfoundland and Labrador including:
- Mental Health and Addictions
- Children’s and Women’s Health
- Rehabilitation and Continuing Care
- Long-Term Care
- Cancer Care
- Palliative Care
- Nursing Homes
We provide the following services:
- Medication history assessment.
- Medication profile review.
- Sterile compounded products (e.g. chemotherapy, parenteral nutrition).
- Compounded products (e.g. liquid suspensions for small children and infants).
- Direct patient counseling and consultation.
- Advice to medical personnel on drug effects and drug dosages.
- Monitoring of patient drug regimes.
- Health promotion.
- Policy development.
- Administrative practice and research.