Therapeutic recreation uses treatment, education, and recreation services to help people with illnesses, disabilities, and other conditions to develop and use their leisure in ways that improve their health, independence, and overall well being.
Throughout Eastern Health, therapeutic recreation practioners work in 23 sites across all programs including:Long Term CareAdult Rehabilitation and Continuing CareChildren's and Women's HealthMental Health and Addictions
We work with other health care professionals such as occupational therapists, physiotherapists, social workers, psychologists, registered dietitians, nurses, physicians, and other health care staff as part of your health care team.
We also work with community groups and stakeholders to develop strong links with community partners to provide community based leisure opportunities for clients, patients, and residents.
What are the Benefits of Therapeutic Recreation?
- Reduces cardiovascular & respiratory risk
- Increases general cognitive functioning
- Increases short-and long term memory
- Decreases confusion and disorientation
- Reduces depression & anxiety
- Improves general psychological health
- Improves social skills, socialization, cooperation, and interpersonal interactions
- Improves coping behaviour
- Reduces stress levels
- Increases self-concept, self-esteem, and adjustment to disability
- Reduces self-abusive and inappropriate behaviors
- Increases communication and language skills
- Increases life and leisure satisfaction and perceived quality of life
- Increases community integration