Eastern Health currently employs approximately 340 social workers, making social work the largest sub-group of allied health professionals.
Social work is a profession concerned about people’s social and psychological well-being. Social workers offer a variety of skills, knowledge and therapies designed to help individuals, families or communities through assessment, remediation and prevention of psycho-social problems.
Social work also contributes to the development of healthy public policy and social change, and addresses issues such as poverty, oppression, discrimination, exclusion and violence.
Social workers provide services, individually and as part of clinical teams, in settings that include:
- Acute care facilities
- Long-term care within the community and facilities
- Community service programs
- Palliative Care
- Mental Health and Addictions
- Rehabilitation centres and outpatient cancer care
- Children's and Women’s Health
We provide the following:
- Direct counseling and therapy
- Discharge planning
- Case management
- Community development
- Health promotion
- Policy development
- Administrative practice and research
For a directory of social work services in Eastern Health, click here.