The Renata Elizabeth Withers Centre for HOPE
The HOPE Program is a provincial intensive outpatient program. We are committed to helping change eating disorder symptoms, challenging thoughts and behaviours, and developing new means of coping with everyday stressors.
The program strives to provide a trusting, supportive and consistent environment for individuals and their families on their journey to wellness.
Who Do We See?
- Clients 15 years of age and older who meet the criteria as described in the DSM-V (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) for anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa or other specified feeding and eating disorders excluding binge eating, night eating related disorders, or avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder.
- The client must be aware of his/her referral to the program and agree to participate in therapy.
- The client must be medically stable as per Eastern Health’s guidelines.
- We do not accept referrals for eating difficulties (e.g. fear of swallowing, weight loss management).
- Individual services can be provided for those following a vegan diet.
The treatment goals are individualized according to the needs of the client and may include the following:
- Develop a healthy lifestyle.
- Improve relationship with food.
- Explore alternative coping strategies.
- Create/improve healthy interpersonal relationships.
- Improve sense of self-worth and body esteem.
- Facilitate effective communication between clients and their loved ones.
The HOPE Program is one aspect of recovery; the recovery journey will continue after completion of the program.
The Referral and Intake Process
- A referral to the program can be made by a physician or health care provider using the Mental Health and Addictions Referral Form (PDF).
- Physician follow-up is required during participation in the HOPE Program.
- Clients under the age of 18 will be referred to the Adolescent Medicine Team for medical assessment and follow-up care.
- The client will be invited to attend an orientation session once the referral is received.
- An intake appointment is scheduled with the intake coordinator following the orientation session.
- Once the client’s motivation level has been established, further assessments are conducted to determine his/her treatment pathway.
Telephone: (709) 777-2041
Fax: (709) 777-2042